Forget small cottage vibes featuring grandma’s lounge set and hand-me-down beds. Banish those beach house blues and turn that forgotten cottage into a luxe coastal paradise.
Holidays are about spoiling yourself, living large and enjoying the good things in life!
You didn’t slave away all year for that well-deserved and long-awaited holiday to put up with anything less than 5-star accommodation.
So let’s give that old beach shack a shakedown, strip out the outdated and bring in the fresh and fabulous!
A kitchen fit for a chef
Indulging in good food, while not spending the whole day prepping, cooking and cleaning, is a big part about being on holiday.
You want to make sure the kitchen is fully equipped with all the latest appliances. This will make the cooking part of the getaway that much more convenient, fast and effortless. Some of our must-have favourites include:
- Coffee machine: Your fave barista is not going to be on holiday with you. This means you need to have a good coffee machine and an even better coffee bean/pod selection on hand. Opt for a couple of different flavours and strengths. If you’re a latte and cappuccino lover, keeping a milk cooler handy will ensure you always have the right cuppa for the right moment.
- Water dispenser: Those salty summer days and sultry cocktail nights are going to make you thirsty. Stay hydrated and feel your best with a handy water dispenser. At the press of a button, you will have access to cool, fresh and filtered aqua all day, every day.
- Dessert maker: No pool party or beach day is complete without home-made ice cream, fresh fruit sorbets and snow cones for the kiddies. With a dessert maker, you can whip up these delicious desserts in no time. It requires very little effort and only a handful of healthy ingredients. Win-win!
- Wine cooler: Hot days and cool wine are what good times on vacay are all about. Whether you love a moody Merlot, sexy Sauvignon Blanc or a refreshing Rosé – you want to enjoy your glass (or two) of gorgeous grapes at the perfect temperature. Let an elegant wine cooler do the work for you. All you have to do is pour, cheers and enjoy!
Relax, rejuvenate and re-spa yourself
No need to leave the comfort of your dreamy beach house to enjoy the bliss of being pampered. When you have your very own swoon-worthy spa-inspired bathroom, what more can you ask for?
We’re talking about an oversized, walk-in shower with his and her’s showerheads and an eye-catching sleek, pearly white stand-alone bathtub to soak away the stress.
Wrap yourself in a fluffy bath towel before slipping into an ultra-soft bathrobe. Get ready to chill in absolute comfort while sipping on a nightcap in the pyjama lounge. Remember to keep your bathroom light, airy and clutter-free to create a sense of serenity.
Let the Terrazzo tiles, warm wooden floors, gold metal sanitary ware and a lush plant or two do the talking.
Add a touch of coastal chic by placing a large seashell (not many small ones) and a couple of lightly scented candles on the vanity.
A beach house bedroom is all about being calm, cool and oh-so-comfortable with oodles of soft feels. Think goose down OTT pillows that gently hug you as you sit back, lush curtains and heavenly bedding.
Sink away into a deep slumber under Egyptian cotton sheets (opt for the 400-700 thread count range).
Toss out the kitsch sailor and dolphin decor and go for ocean-inspired colours such as aquamarine, teal and creamy whites.
Find out which local artists are in the area and invest in an original art piece or two to give your bedroom an authentic, artistic touch.
Entertain like a boss
Cocktails at the outdoor bar, floating on a lilo and having afternoon naps in a chic hammock. Add to that the sound of the distant waves gently lapping up onto the sand.
That’s what beach holidays are made of. Just throw in an outdoor shower to your pool area where you can rinse the salt and sand off before heading to the bar and you’re all set
We recommend the following essentials for said bar:
- Ice maker: Smoothies for breakfast. Margaritas with lunch and Daiquiris for dinner. Beach house living calls for copious amounts of fresh, fancy and always ice-cold adult beverages. So, a tabletop ice maker is going to be your best friend and constant companion to keep up with the cocktails, slushies and chilled summer treats.
- Undercounter beverage cooler: No one wants to go through the hassle of going in and out of the house every time you want a cool drink. Make life much easier and elegant. Add a pop of colour to your outside bar area with a stylish, retro red under counter beverage cooler.
- Built-in braai: Nothing says sophistication like a stainless steel, built-in braai with all the bells and whistles. Some of our favourite features include a potjie hook for those slow and lazy dinner vibes. There’s also an ember maker to get that fire going in no time and an ash pan drawer for effortless cleaning.
Feeling inspired? December is around the corner, so now is the time to get your beach house ready for the ultimate holiday getaway with friends and family.