So let’s be honest – 2020 has not exactly been what we all hoped for and just a few weeks ago, a road trip would not even be on your radar.
At the stroke of midnight 2019, we raised our sparkling Veuve Clicquot filled glasses and clinked to a new year full of unexpected, wonderful things to come.
Well, we got “unexpected” – the world stopped. Literally.
Like something straight out of Hollywood, what started out as a year filled with possibility, dreams waiting to be fulfilled and destinations to be discovered turned into a reality TV apocalypse series – and we were the clueless cast.
So while our borders remained closed and we were held captive in our country, towns and homes, we looked at ways to explore our own backyard. While we are all reconsidering the true value of our post-pandemic freedom, it is time we revived the self-drive holiday.
There has never been a better time or more reason to adventure and immerse ourselves into South Africa’s great outdoors (greater than ever after being locked down in your home for basically the whole year).
It’s time for a road trip – and we’ve got the coolest gadgets to make sure your expedition into the wild is a raging success.
That’s right, we are going to embrace our inner Bear Grylls and head onto the road less travelled to get our long-overdue adventure on in only the finest style.
The Three P’s of Successful Road Trips
Every successful self-drive holiday trip starts with the meticulous execution of the three P’s: planning, preparing and packing.
Yes, this is the least exciting part of the process, but trust us, it is also the one part you do not want to do poorly.
Decide whether you want to: cruise down the Garden Route to inhale the beauty of the East Coast; go up the West Coast to hop from one quaint dorpie and gorgeous beach to the next; or head inland to explore the game reserves and see what the heart of SA has to offer.
Need some road trip destination inspiration?
- Take a trip down memory lane and journey back in time with a visit to the Karoo. There is no other place quite like it and you are sure to never forget the magical experience of stargazing at Sutherland along with the weird and wonderful finds along the road.
- The Cape Route 62 will be an unforgettable experience for wine lovers. Stretching between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, this route has been dubbed the greatest road trip and the longest wine route in the world.
- If you are out to find adventure, the Garden Route is a must. Winding along the coast through the Wilderness, Plettenberg Bay and the glorious Tsitsikamma National Park – this road trip is guaranteed to make you fall in love with the East Coast.
Adrenaline junkies can bungee jump off the highest bridge in Africa, Bloukrans Bridge and animal lovers will have an unforgettable experience at Monkeyland – the world’s first free-roaming primate sanctuary.
- Soak in breath-taking views of Blyde River Canyon from God’s Window and unwind while you take in nature at its best on The Panorama Route that winds through Mpumalanga. This is an absolute must for nature lovers and you will be spoilt for choice with gorgeous hikes, wonderful waterfalls and white river rafting at Sabie River.
Once you’ve got your destination down, take a look at the best route to get you there and plan a couple of stops along the way to make sure you don’t miss out on the must-see attractions. You know what they say – the journey is the destination.
Check, check and check your car
Next, check that your vehicle is healthy and ready for the road. Have an honest look at your tyres or ask a professional to make sure your tread is going to make the trip.
Remember to also have a look at your spare wheel – you don’t want a nasty pothole to ruin the holiday.
Lastly, take a look at your windscreen wipers and make sure they are still wiping smoothly. Nothing worse than squeaky, streaky windscreen wipers!
Keep Your Cool-er
Most importantly, you want to keep your food fresh and your drinks chilled. Nothing ruins a road trip quite as quickly as a ‘hangry’ family … or a warm beer upon arrival to your destination. Day ruined!
To prevent any food or drink related disasters, you need to invest in a SnoMaster portable fridge/freezer combo – your coolest travel companion ever and one you will keep for years to come.
With 16 years’ experience, SnoMaster has become a go-to brand that has earned their trust by producing reliable, durable and innovative cooling options, customised to suit your lifestyle.
Whether you are an outdoor lover going on a rugged, off-road adventure or a sophisticated casual road-tripper who stays on the glamping side of life, Snomaster has the perfect travel cooling option to suit your lifestyle.
Take a look at some of these first-class features:
- The sturdy outer shell and fittings on SnoMaster portable fridge/freezers are made from stainless steel or aluminium which protect high-density polyethylene and polypropylene interiors which provide snomasters superior insulation.
- Fitted with a powerhouse SnoMaster compressor that is sold with a seven-year warranty, these fridge/freezer combos will keep your food fresher for longer.
- Models can be operated with 12 and 24 Volt DC and 100 to 240 Volt AC.
- The clever dual compartment combos make organising food and drinks easy. Thanks to interchangeable temperature control, you can keep each compartment perfectly chilled at the optimal temperature.
- No more searching in the dark thanks to the internal LED light that makes it easy to see what you are looking for and the clever lid open alarm will let you know if the lid is not closed properly.
Choose your fridge/freezer combo from the traveller, classic, leisure or expedition series and, depending on the option you decide on, you could get some or all of the following extra goodies included: solar-powered remote control, baskets, transit bag, bottle opener, seven-year compressor warranty and/or a three-year unit warranty.
Ready to find your ultimate SnoMaster fridge/freezer?