Because a fireplace is a final touch that turns a house into a home, here are a few fireplace ideas to help you take it to the next level. Generations upon generations have gathered around the fire to tell stories, share meals and feel safe in the glowing warmth of crackling flames.
As the trees shed their leaves and evenings grow long and cold, it is time to bring out the soft throws and wool blankets. A glass of Merlot at the perfect temperature sets the scene while family snuggling in front of a glowing fireplace takes centre stage.
How to Give Your Fireplace a Hot Makeover
1. Add in some high-end seamless design
The linear, frameless fireplace is the ultimate luxury look in a modern home. Combining simple lines and luxurious finishes, this “floating” fireplace sits flush inside the wall creating a stylish slither of flames behind a glass front.
2. Use a Fireplace Mantel to Set the Mood
The mantelpiece is a focal point when it comes to getting the look and feel of your fireplace right. Check out some of the trendiest fireplace framing options for 2021.
Top Fireplace Mantel Design Ideas to Get You Started
- Minimalist and modern: Straight, clean lines and subtle design create a timeless frame drawing all the attention to the dancing flames. Opt for a deep charcoal colour on your mantelpiece for a contemporary look that lets the bright flames shine.
- Statement tiles: Tiling a fireplace is a hot trend that allows you to go as bold and loud as you dare to. Ethnic motifs, geometric shapes, and bright colours are all the rage this year and will turn the fireplace into a striking focal point. Decorating with scatter cushions or rugs that echo the accent colours in your tiles will bring the room together.
- Natural textures: Pebble tiles, marble, brick or an elegant stone in earthy tones are popular choices to bring natural, rustic elements into the home. These materials are ideal for a fireplace, as they are generally heat-resistant, resilient and low maintenance.
3. Go Smart
High-tech, gas fireplaces are ideal for a smart home. You can link it up to your home automation system allowing you to ignite the flames with a tap on your phone.
4. Mix Things Up with a Fireplace Wall
The versatility of a linear, modern fireplace means you can use it as a feature in a room-dividing wall. This lets you enjoy the fire from both sides. Just imagine a stylish fireplace dividing the dining and living room or in the master bedroom between the bathroom and pyjama lounge.
5. Turn Your Fireplace into an Entertainment Center
What may have been a major fire hazard, is now one of the most popular trends: adding a TV above your fireplace. Combining a TV with a fireplace in the living room is the perfect combination for cold winter evenings.
Not watching anything? Switch your Smart TV to ambient mode, select the painting of your choice and watch as it morphs into an art piece.
Consider scale when selecting your TV or the combination might look like an afterthought. The fireplace and TV should complement one another without competing for attention. If the TV is too big, it will make the fireplace look insignificant and unbalanced. Too small and the fireplace will dominate the visual.
6. Install an Outdoor Fireplace
Another great design idea is to enjoy the best of both worlds and install an indoor/outdoor fireplace. There is no need to say goodbye to your outdoor entertaining space in colder months with a beautiful dual-purpose fireplace.
An outdoor/indoor gas or wood fireplace doesn’t just look good. It is also a functional link between the interior and exterior of your home. With it, you can enjoy a heated veranda and a cosy living room at the same time.
Frequently Asked Questions About Setting Up a Fireplace
People looking into getting a fireplace for the first time often have some burning questions when it comes to setting them up. Here, we compiled some answers to frequently asked questions to get you all warmed up.
1. Which is better: gas or wood?
If the scent of woodsmoke and a crackling fire is appealing and don’t mind cleaning up ashes, a traditional wood burning fireplace will work.
If that sounds like too much work, a gas fireplace is your best option. For the purists, however, the smokey aroma and soothing crackling sound of a wood fireplace simply cannot be beaten.
2. Are Gas Fireplaces Safe?
Yes. Thanks to modern safety features they are safe and easy to use.
3. Are Gas Fireplaces Easy to Maintain?
Yes. Gas fireplaces are growing in popularity because they are easy to use and clean.
3. How do you clean a fireplace?
If you’re using a gas fireplace, a little periodic dusting with a soft-bristle brush is all you need to keep the “logs” or “coals” clean.
If you’re using a traditional fireplace, you might have to use a combination of methods to clean it up. Depending on how thorough of a cleaning you want to perform, you might need a dustpan or small shovel to brush off or scoop up accumulated ash, and a vaccuum cleaner to suck off remaining dust.
Depending on how much soot has accumulated around the fireplace, you might also need a spray bottle and cloth for wiping them down, or a brush or power washer to scrub them off.
4. Are Gas Fireplaces Expensive?
Compared to gas fireplaces, yes. However, the reduced maintenance and available gas refill services make it a convenient option. With so many fireplace designs available you are bound to find a style that suits your taste.
5. Will a Fireplace ruin a TV?
Generally speaking, no. Thanks to ultra-thin Smart TVs and clever installation options, you can safely hang your TV above the fireplace, and it won’t catch alight.